![]() |
![]() |
St. Paul's Lutheran School was located in the village of Wilbert. The school was generally known as "St. Paul's of Wilbert" or "The Wilbert School" and the building is located on the church property in the south part of Section 15 in Tenhassen Township.
A group of Lutheran families organized into a church congregation in 1890 and, from its beginning, it was concerned about the Christian education for its children. They started a Christian day school. The first school was held in the 24' x 36' church building. On the day of dedication in September of 1890, a terrific hailstorm did much damage to the building, but the damages were quickly repaired.
The first teacher was Karl Froelich, who rented a farm in Tenhassen township; he taught school during the winter months without pay. Once the school was established, Froelich begin teaching at $15 per month. Pastor W. Becker, the first resident pastor, helped teach in 1892. In 1900, F. L. Bode was called to be the first full-time teacher. Enrollment was increased to 60 pupils. The congregation built a new parsonage in 1901 and Teacher Bode moved into the old parsonage. In 1906, the present church was built and the former "church/school" building was then used only as a school. In 1910 an addition was built onto the teacher's house.
In 1919, a new two-room school, with full basement was built. Each room was to accomodate 50 students. The contractor offered to build the school for $8,386. Dedication of the new school took place in November 1919. Cost of the school, plus furnace, was $11,000 and was paid for when dedicated. The new school was built directly in front of the old building and upon its completion, the old school house was sold to Fred Detert, who dismantled it and took the lumber to his farm.
In 1922, it was decided to begin classes in September. Teachers were instructed to divide the school into grades and promotion was to take place at the end of the school year in June. Monthly report cards were to be issued. Improvements were made to the school basement. In 1928 financial problems were beginning to exist because of the depression, which was just starting. A committee of 4 was to visit each family and collect money for the back salary of the two teachers. Each teacher was to receive an equal part of the amount collected.
Before 1929, religion was only taught in German, but that year several members requested that their children be instructed in the English language. A cement floor was laid in the west room of the school basement. In 1932 teachers' salaries were lowered because of the depression. In 1933, back salaries from 1932 were cancelled. Salaries were set at $900 per year for each teacher. In 1935 teachers requested a raise in salary, but it was felt that the congregation could not support this request at this time.
In 1937 electricity was installed in the teacher's and pastor's houses. That year Mrs. W. J. Schroeder substituted for Teacher Robinson while his family was under quarantine for scarlet fever and again when he had surgery. She was paid $3.00 per day. In 1938 electricity was installed in the school building. In 1940 the church and the school celebrated their 50th Anniversary. In 1942 Teacher Schroeder present his resignation for health reasons. He had served the congregation for 21 years. Teacher Lester Gottschalk replaced him.
In 1943 it was decided that school days in the winter months (Dec. 1 to Mar. 1) were to begin at 9:30am and end at 4:30pm. The school had a small fire on the roof that year. The roof was re-shingled with asphalt shingles to prevent recurrence. In 1945 a sewage system was installed in the school building, a new well was dug, and water lines were laid to all buildings of the congregation. In 1947 the west end of the school property was made into a playground at a cost of $250. New playground equipment was also purchased. In 1944 there had been a discussion about adding a 9th grade to the school, but the idea was dropped. In 1947, the first entire 8th grade class went on to high school.
In 1948 new heating systems (oil furnaces) were put in the school. Indoor toilets were installed in 1950. In 1951 terrazzo finish was put on the floors in the two upstairs rooms. In 1953 the school was insulated, repainted, and basement windows were replaced with glass blocks. New storm windows were also purchased. New fire escapes were put on the school in 1954 and a flag pole was put up. The Martin County Library System set up a branch library at the school in 1952.
In 1956 one of the basement rooms was made into a classroom and the following year the first teacher for a third classroom was hired. Grades were divided according to the number of students. New seating (chair-desk combination) was purchased the following year.
Parent-teacher conferences were held after the first nine weeks of school in 1959. This coincided with the distribution of the first report cards for the year. In 1960, lady teachers' contracts were to be for ten months. The classrooms were designated as upper, middle and lower. In 1965 the school house roof was repaired, insides steps moved, and plastering done. In 1967 the teacher's house on the south side of the road was sold to Wm. J. Schultze for $1,850. That year the school entrance age was to be six years by September 1st. The Ceylon band instructor was given permission to give band instrument lessons after school hours.
In 1969, the Ceylon School District began to bus parochial students who lived in the Ceylon District to Wilbert on a separate route after their regular route was completed. In 1971, a telephone extension was put into the school. In 1973 the furnace room was to be altered to meet fire safety standards and a fire alarm system was installed. School was to start at 8:30am and two buses from Ceylon would pick up parochial school students on their regular bus routes.
In 1976 the teachers at the Wilbert School were: Marvin Erdman, principal and teacher; Mrs. Becky Schoolcraft and Miss Rita Arndt, teachers. The present pastor at that time was Rev. Emil Geistfeld.